After a long winter stuck indoors, many of us can’t wait to shed our coats, hats, gloves and boots for shorts and sandals. But a quick look at the condition of our hair, skin and nails is often enough to send many of us back indoors. Dry winter air can wreak havoc on the condition of our skin, nails and hair making them dull, dry and lifeless. With the following tips you can be ready for your spring debut and not break the bank along the way.
1. Consume some omega-3 fatty acids. A great source is salmon but if you don’t like fish, try adding some ground flaxseed into your diet. Omega-3′s are essential for maintaining scalp health and soft supple skin. When your diet is deficient in these it can reult in dry skin and lifeless looking hair.
2. Get adequate protein. Whether its chicken, turkey or eggs, high quality protein is essential for maintaining strong nails and hair. Eggs are especially good since they contain biotin, important for strong nails and vitamin B-12. A deficiency in vitamin B12 can lead to darkening of skin and nails and graying of hair.
3. Try getting a professional manicure/pedicure if you never had one before. Just remember to make sure the business is clean, licensed with qualified staff. Try to get the first appoinment in the morning since the footbaths are the cleanest and if possible tru to bring your own kit including: nail clippers, nail brushes, files. toe separators and any disposable items you’ll need. You can even bring your own nail base and polish.
4. Get your hair professionally cut and conditioned. For those who colour their hair, spring is time to look to lighter shades and highlights or even a completely new hairstyle. If you are more of a do-it-yourself kind of gal, try some of the great conditioners you can make at home with products you can find in your fridge like avacados. Simply mix up a ripe avacado, add, a few drops of wheat-germ oil and a teaspoon of jojoba oil. Apply to freshly washed hair and cover with a plastic cap or wrap. Leave on for 15-30 minutes and then rinse out.
5. Try a treatment mask for your face. Use a mask made from clay for a detoxifying and acne-clearing effect that leaves your skin clean and glowing. If you are after a moisture surge, some masks contain hyaluronic acid, honey or other moisturizing ingredients to sink into your skin. For a radiance boost to dull skin, try an exfoliating mask made from fruit acids.
Have some beauty secrets of your own? Share them with us on facebook and you could win a free 3 month supply of femMED Hair, Skin & Nails
Not convinced a supplement can help improve the look of your hair, skin and nails? See what Slice Network had to say about their test of femMED’s Hair, Skin and Nails product