I saw a ob/gyn and was recommended a D&C, but my family doctor says no. I have cramps and am postmenopausal. Ultrasound shows a thickening on the left side. What should I do?

You should discuss this further with your ob/gyn and ask why he or she is suggesting a D & C. A thickening of the uterine wall could be due to hormonal imbalance, fibroids (benign growths), polyps or it could be an indication of something more serious such as endometrial cancer. Fibroids commonly cause heavy bleeding ad cramping, but they are much more common in pre-menopausal women.

For women over 40, especially those past menopause, who have uterine bleeding or thickening a D&C or another procedure called an endometrial biopsy may be warrented. Occasionally a hysteroscopy is performed at the same time as a D&C, allowing the doctor a better view of inside the cervix, vagina, and uterus.

Share this with your friends!
Facebook Twitter Email Linkedin