One of the annoying side effects of my perimenopause is that I wake up at night now. I used to sleep for a good 8 hours or so… and now…. forget it. I wake up a couple of times during the night and I’m totally wide awake and can’t turn my brain off.
I Googled this and I found some tips to share with the class:
Get To Sleep More Easily:
1. Clear your mind – make a list of the things you need to do tomorrow so you don’t lie in bed thinking about it (ya right! Easier said than done!)
2. Prepare yourself – have a ritual and a routine that signals your mind that it’s time to go to sleep
3. Prepare your environment – only sleep and sex in the bedroom! Take the TV out… (umm, that’s not happenning!)
4. Avoid caffeine after 3pm
5. Avoid alcohol consumption 2 hours prior to going to bed
6. Avoid nicotine before bed time
7. Go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time each morning
8. Get some exercise during the day
9. Avoid activities that stimulate your mind (watching the news, etc)
10. Incorporate a white noise machine or something similar
Anyone have any advice or anything to share on the topic? Feedback is always welcome.